- Board-certified Suicidologist
- Past-President American Association of Suicidology
- Former Editor-in-Chief, Suicide and Life-Threatening Behavior Journal
- Author of 27 Books
- Millions in Funded Research Grants
- Trained in Suicidology @ Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Detailed, Empirically-Grounded Expert Reports
The vast majority of Dr. Maris's clients are attorneys seeking expert opinions and testimony about suicide, the standard of care issues, medical malpractice, contested life insurance, murder, murder-suicide, worker's compensation, and product liability (especially for psychiatric medications). Clients also include organizations, other experts, and the media (see NEWS tab).
Some of the general types of past clients include:
- The United States Department of Justice (See Trentadue, '98;
Alsept, '01, Parsons, '03, Williams, '11, Bigham, '12, Seastrunk, '13, Senescal, '13, Riopedre, '15, Rice, 19)
- Life Insurance Companies (including Western Reserve Life, State Farm, Manufacturers Life, Lincoln, Columbus Life, Transamerica, Equitable, Franklin Life, Unum, Amica, Allstate, New York Metropolitan, Prudential, USF&G, Mutual of Omaha, American General, Founders, United Life, Fidelity, Occidental Life, Federal Insurance).
- Airlines (El Batouty & Egypt Air, '04, Cessna, '94, Arrendale, '94).
- The U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation and Police Departments.
- Medical Malpractice, Hospitals, Emergency Rooms, VA (See Vets v. Peake, '08).
- Home Box Office, British Broadcasting Corporation ("Death By Hanging" '98).
- The 110th United States Congress ("The Truth About Veteran's Suicide," '08).
- In Re Neurontin (Finkelstein, '05-06, gabapentin).
- Product Liability/Drug Cases (including Prozac, Paxil, Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Neurontin, Ambien, et al.)
- Murder-Suicides, Murder (See Running, '00, Plude, '02, Peak, '02, Jensen, '03, Theos, '03, Corbin, '06, Sawyer, '07, Sweat, '13).
- Jail/Prison Suicide (See Trentadue, '98, Woodruff, '99, Stiles, '13 et al.).
- Schools (See Garrido, '97, High, '01).
- Celebrity Cases (including Susan Smith, '95, Megan's Law, '95, Della Sutorious (Court TV), '96, Dan Chandler, '97, Phil Hartman (SNL), '98, Pittman, '05, Lawler, 19.
- Workers' Compensation.